[arch-general] SystemD poll

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 12:54:17 EDT 2012

> > Of course the Big Bang theory is morphing with one option being many
> > Big Bang's and that it was a point in history and not the beginning
> > which is perfectly plausible and systemd may morph sufficiently for
> > more users too, in time. I care little though (except any consequences)
> > and don't hold a great deal of hope in that regard because systemd tells
> > us what to do and not us telling systemd what to do and so it can never
> > fit everyone's needs as init scripts can, as to do so, it wouldn't be
> > systemd any more.
> >
> > --
> >
> > 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
> > together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
> > universal interface'
> >
> > (Doug McIlroy)
> >

> Wow, this is way off base.  Anyway, you may also wish to look into
> the argument from ignorance; the fact that you fail to understand something
> doesn't make it untrue.  I have to admit I'd be interested to know who you
> get
> information on theoretical physics from, since you seem to think theoretical
> physicists aren't reliable authorities on the subject. I'm also getting
> tired of
> seeing folks completely misunderstand how the "burden of proof" works
> (hint: It always lies with the claimant).

Seems the systemd advocating Trolls continue to shoot down without
saying a thing.

You missed the point, a fact can be obtained and a theory discounted
without understanding the "complete origins of the universe" which no
one can satisfy without mentioning God. The consensus was wrong and
believed to be all but proved and those very physicists are now saying
so due to those who grew up asking questions in the classroom realising
more and more that the lecturer was wrong and the attention and
work refocussed on new more likely ideas with new flaws.

So you really believe the old theory that a single Big bang started the
universe and which and is more likely a multiverse. A term concocted
I suppose to stop treading on peoples toes. I suppose you believe in
string theory too and going faster than light puts you in the past
rather than just seeing the past, but enough digressing. This work will
likely never end but good does come of it. I suppose you blindly believe
everything physicists and Lennart says. Kindly tell me privately what
you believe is 'on base' currently as I won't spam this list any more.
I'd be shocked, if it was credible, though it may be interesting and
answer some questions leading to new ones.

> Back on track: You and I have different standards for complexity.  A few
> dozen
> lines of code accomplishing a multi-faceted task can easily be considered
> complex.  systemd can be just as modular as you like, if you learn your way
> around it.

/sbin/init does not demand a few dozen lines of code unless you wish
so. It is not as modular as you like without study, a major rewrite and
recompilation. I guess you missed the posts about embedded and Android
and busybox using an init system leaner than the usual /sbin/init. You
also seem to have missed or ignored the points about complex kernel
requirements  etc. that it wants to apply to every system and contrary
to the arch way 2.0.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)