[arch-general] kde and systemd [was Re: [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package]

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:15:36 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 10:39 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
>> Oh and as a side note a rolling release means it rolls,
>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/roll if it stops because of a
>> breakage or a change in file structure or manipulation that then means
>> it is not rolling it has come to a halt. Just wanted to add that for
>> those I keep seeing on the net saying "It's a rolling release what do
>> you expect?" Judd Vincent meant "You'll never have to upgrade because
>> every pacman- Syu gives you the most recent version." ergo 'It's
>> rolled over to the latest. If a package breaks your system that's fair
>> enough, if changing the file structure or core of your system breaks
>> it that has nothing to do with 'rolling' that's called "I just ripped
>> the wires out of your radio but hey you get to keep all the parts."
>> just wanted to clarify that.
>
> Is Arch a rolling release or isn't it?

It's as rolling as a rolling distro can get.

The fact that a rolling release system uses the word "rolling" doesn't
qualify the release with every possible meaning of that word In the
case of a distribution, it means that we don't get updates for old
versions of software, just for the newest version some packager had
the motivation to provide. So, it is very distant from the real
meaning of "rolling". Unless we'll now receive our updates on a DVD
down a hill and it comes rolling to the bottom... :P

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?