[arch-general] mplayer steals system sound

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Feb 19 17:39:25 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Thorsten <quintfall at googlemail.com> wrote:
> my system-sound (alsa) was working, until I installed mplayer. Now
> mplayer is working - but system-sound is gone. No way to regulate volume
> in alsamixer,

What exactly happens? Are there no mixers, is it not possible to
adjust them, or does adjusting them not make a difference?

> it seems mplayer has occupied the system.

Just having it installed (very unlikely) or when it is running?

> How can I use mplayer _and_ have sound for youtube etc again?

Are you using pulseaudio? If not, do that. If you are, then make sure
that alsa-plugins and pulseaudio-alsa are installed too.

-t