[arch-general] ruby 1.9.3_p125-1 in [extra]

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:40:49 EST 2012

I have released ruby 1.9.3_p125 into [extra].

This is a version bump (p0 -> p125) and all tests passed for me.
Along with the update, I will be introducing the following new
conventions as part of my ruby cleanup project.

/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby is now the correct location where non-gem
ruby libraries installed with pacman should go.
If your package installs anything to /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby, you have
to update to the new location.
Site_ruby is only there for files installed specifically by the user
without a package manager.

A new file will be created at "/etc/gemrc" where I add --user-install
as the default option for gem.
This will install all gems by default to "$HOME/.gem/ruby".
You will have to add the new bindir to your PATH if you decide to
install gems that provide binaries.
export PATH="$PATH:$(ruby -rubygems -e 'puts Gem.user_dir')/bin"

As a result of the above change, all ruby gem packages will have to
add a --no-user-install flag when running gem in the PKGBUILD.

If you run sudo gem install foo, it will install to /root/.gem/ruby
To install to the system-wide gems location (not recommended), you
will have to either remove --user-install from /etc/gemrc or you will
have to pass the --no-user-install flag when using gem as root.

Cheers!