[arch-general] dovecot.conf moved to dovecot.pacsave - why?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 22:21:51 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>  That's fine and I agree. But, if we are not going to install the sample
> config, why does that mean we have to move the existing dovecot.conf to
> dovecot.conf.pacsave and leave the user without any config on existing installs?
>
>  Maybe it's just a pacman limitation not knowing whether it is upgrading or
> installing for the first time, but isn't there a way in an install script to
> simply do a
>
> [[ -e /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf ]] && "don't touch it"
>
> or
>
> [[ -e /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf ]] && mv /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf \
> /etc/dovecot/local.conf

Its not done in an install script, previous to this version
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf belong to the dovecot package. When it no
longer belongs to said package it is moved to <name>.pacsave, this is
reasonable pacman behaviour because there's no telling what the reason
was for the file being removed.

Its not a conscious "move this file" done in the update as you can see
from the changelog/PKGBUILD.