[arch-general] Suspend seems not to work with nVidia Nouveau driver

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 15:25:50 EST 2012

On 1/3/12, Jonathan Vasquez <jvasquez1011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Fabio Mancinelli
> <fabio.mancinelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This fixed the redrawing issues but made my laptop start to freeze on
>> suspend (with the proprietary driver, suspend worked without any
>> issues)
>>
>> I looked at the log in /var/log/ but everything seems to be ok.

>> Thanks,
>> Fabio
>>
>> P.S.: When I say "freeze" I mean that the system switches to text
>> mode, and the cursor appears in the top left corner (without
>> blinking). Everything is blocked and I have to hard-poweroff the
>> laptop and restart it.
>>
>> P.P.S.: Here it is some configuration data:

> For me, I have the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, and everything is
> running on LVM, but I have the same problem. I've added "resume" to my
> mkinitcpio, and to my parameters for grub.
>
> The problem for me is that when I go to suspend, it doesn't even
> suspend, it just closes everything, switches to a black/blank screen
> with the blinking symbol _ , and stays there.  It doesn't fully shut
> down. Then I have to manually restart the computer.
>
> I also have pm-utils installed.
>
> - Jon

Jah, not only me then, :-)

This is happening to me as well for 3 years, but not all the time
(maybe 1 out of 3).  I also use nouveau, but what I'm using right now
to suspend is:

% cat /usr/bin/local_s2disk.sh
#!/usr/bin/env sh

echo "Suspending to Disk NOW..."
sync
swapoff -a
swapon -a
netcfg -a
acpitool -S
netcfg-menu

I believe "acpitool -S" does a direct write of "disk" to
/sys/power/state, but I prefer acpitool, and I've been using it for
quiet a while, :-)

I also have:

% 'grep' resume /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usb filesystems keymap
usbinput resume"

% 'grep' resume /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/sda5"

And I still get the misbehavior when attempting to suspend some times.

As a side note, I wanted to use the UUID format to specify the swap
partition to grab the image from which to resume, which works for me
on debian.  But on arch I'm not sure if it's due to the initrd image
generated, or the way the kernel is compiled, but it doesn't work, I
have to specify plain partition...  Not sure if any one has tried
using UUID instead.

--
Javier.