[arch-general] PulseAudio again (was: change in mount behaviour?)

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Sat Jan 28 13:37:14 EST 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> If Lennart would either fix all those issues in PulseAudio and systemd,
> so that they would really work for everybody and would really bring
> advantages for everybody or at least no disadvantages, or if his
> software would just be optional and not needed as a dependency by some
> distros or DEs, I'm pretty sure this discussion wouldn't always pop up
> again.

dear Lennart and co.,

the community would appreciate software that is 100% free of all bugs,
now and forever.  we expect these things to work with every card ever
manufactured, even stuff 10yrs obsolete or in the 1% of use cases. and
no, before you ask, just working is not good enough, please be sure
that all possible features are exposed.  also, ensure your software
integrates perfectly with legacy systems and perfectly with future
systems that haven't been thought of.  lastly, after achieving
completely awesome and 150% interoperability (must include future),
make sure that your software is 100% optional and free of dependencies
in either direction.  seriously, if you can't hit this entry-level 3rd
grade target, there is no hope of becoming a l33t linnicks developer,
and you should right fuxxor off, guy.

signed,

Your Friends in the Community

...... haha, i make myself laugh, that's all that really matters.

is this roughly message you want to send? both PA and systemd already
do a pretty good job coping with legacy stuff, in two areas that are
*notorious* for their excessive proliferation ... you seem to have
some basic misunderstandings of ALSA/alsa-lib/init ... you do know
that init doesn't actually do *anything*, right? i reimplemented init
in ~40 lines of bash years ago for LXC containers ... and it was
full-featured, supporting all signals, and even inittab.  that shiz
was unfixable garbage imo.

i think if you read a bit more ... eg. man pages, documentation,
introductory blogs/etc, and not rants by random-equally-infuriated
users ... you may find some reason, and *maybe* even some use.  ftw,
PA idles at 0% CPU for me, and when streaming over the network to an
XBMC sound system, it uses a steady average 1-2% (actually brief
intermittent bursts at 10% or so) ... nothing outrageous ...meanwhile,
FF consumes 3-5% to run flash, and flash consumes 8-10% to run Pandora
... PA is the lightest link in the chain.

... and that's a wrap on this topic, for me that is.

--

C Anthony