[arch-general] Asked for PIN during pairing of Bluetooth mouse

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Mon Jul 2 14:35:49 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that this is an upstream issue, but to narrow things
down and to verify and/or falsify my experience, I'm asking here first.

Basically it is about my Bluetooth mouse (Speedlink Saphyr Bluetooth). I
paired it some time ago (half a year or something like that) and it
worked fine until now, even with the latest packages. However for some
other reason I had to delete the pairing and repeat the process of pairing.

Surprisingly I've realized that this isn't possible anymore using GNOME
Bluetooth. During the process of pairing (after the mouse is discovered
and I want to proceed), I'm asked whether the PIN displayed within GNOME
Bluetooth matches the one on the device. Obviously the mouse itself by
no means can actually display anything, so this seems odd and wasn't the
case back when I paired it initially.

Regardless of whether I decide to click on the button that says that
they match or the one that says that they doesn't, the process of
pairing fails. However I can connect the mouse to my computer by using
hidd directly (hidd --connect xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx), although this is not a
long term solution as it has to be repeated every single time it gets
disconnected.

I'm now wondering whether anyone of you has also experienced this? I
haven't yet looked into it, so I'm not sure whether this is a problem of
Gnome Bluetooth itself, or whether there gets something messed up
further down in the Bluetooth stack. Maybe some of you could try to
repair their Bluetooth mouse (and/or equipment). But be aware that I
haven't found a way to pair it permanently once again, so probably you
either want to do this in a test environment and/or save your Bluetooth
settings beforehand somehow.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Karol Babioch