[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jul 2 16:25:51 EDT 2012

On 07/02/2012 02:42 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
> during the reboot....
>
> Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
>    init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
> and:
>    could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or directory
> on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt, without completing
> the reboot.
>
> What are these messages trying to tell me, and how do I fix them so that the
> reboot can complete?

Doc,

   It will take one of the smarter devs to tell you exactly what the error is
telling you, but it looks to me like your initramfs got
borked/corrupt/whatever and for some reason it can't determine what modules to
load because whatever hook or link to the modules.dep file is either not there
or broken.

   In my case when this happened with 3.4.4-2 and dmraid, I had to boot with
the 2010.05 install disk due to the latest not having dmraid hooks, then I had
to manually assemble the dmraid (not your 'md'raid) arrays and manually remake
the initramfs with 'mkinitcpio -p linux'. This fixed my initramfs corruption.
(mine wouldn't even boot to the modules.dep point)

   After remaking the image -- all my problems went away. I don't know why I
experienced this issue for the first time with 3.4.4-2, but I suspect it has
to do with 'filesystem' and not the kernel. I have seen some weird issues both
with dmraid and with archroot in the past couple of weeks.

   Like I said, a smarter guy will have to help with the exact message, but
hopefully a remake of the initramfs will straighten your modules.dep problem out.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.