[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:57:34 EDT 2012

2012/7/3 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>:
> Paul Gideon Dann said the following at 07/03/2012 02:35 AM :
>> On Monday 02 Jul 2012 13:42:39 D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
>>> during the reboot....
>>>
>>> Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
>>>   init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
>>> and:
>>>   could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or
>>> directory on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt,
>>> without completing the reboot.

[...]

>> Could you list the messages that appear before the error messages, so that we
>> can get an idea of what stage you've got to in the boot process?
>
> That's non-trivial... there's no way to capture them, so I would have to hope
> that XON/XOFF works (which it probably does) and write them down by hand. I'll
> do that when I can summon up the enthusiasm for it. Frankly, after more than a
> week trying to install Arch on RAID, I'm awfully close to giving up and going
> back to Ubuntu, which Just Worked, at least insofar as the installation was
> concerned.
>
> In the meantime, as far as I recall, the messages said that the various RAID
> arrays were up and running, and then immediately I started getting a series of
> the "failed to create pty" messages. But it's quite likely that I've forgotten
> one or two informative messages that appeared before the errors started to occur.

Hello Doc, the messages sound a bit like a read-only root filesystem.

I understand you've been going through a lot of work, but it seems
like there has been so much done on this system, that it's very hard
to troubleshoot now.

One thing that isn't entirely clear to me (anymore); was this on a
fresh install, or were you converting an existing Archlinux-install to
a Raid configuration?

In the case of fresh install; would it be an option to start over from scratch?
I ask this, because then it would be a lot easier to list all the
neccesary steps one by one and hopefully get it running as wished in
the first place.
I'm willing to dig up some spare HDD's to try and get Arch installed
on a RAID1 array, right from the start, but only if that is what
you're looking for.

mvg,
    Guus