[arch-general] Leap seconds ntp and chrony?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Jul 4 16:00:03 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> If you have a
>> mercurial/git installation even in a small group, I am sure you'll prefer
>> accurate timestamps in your commit history. And the list goes on...
>
> I believe an RTC is perfectly capable of that.

I tried to find some data on what to expect from RTC's. I was not very
successful, except finding people citing 80-100PPM as typical drift
rates (~8 secs/day).

Having a look at my own machine (a reasonably new Dell laptop) I don't
see values quite that bad. I lose about 14 PPM, which amounts to
roughly seven minutes in a year.

Having that kind of discrepancies on a network doing distributed
development would wreck absolute havoc.

-t