[arch-general] Why Multiple Forums for different issues? Arch Linux/ARM?

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Jul 9 13:54:33 EDT 2012

Am 09.07.2012 18:44, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/09/2012 11:16 AM, Daniel Wallace wrote:
>>>
>>> Because Archlinuxarm is unsupported by Archlinux. it is a seperate
>>> project.  The same reason archbang, chakra, bridgelinux, and
>>> archlinux-ppc are seperate as well.
>>

>> Grrrr. Thanks Daniel,
>>
>>   That's what was confusing -- ARM certainly looks official flying the Arch
>> Linux trademarked logo, etc....
>>
>>   So I guess anyone can create any forum and fly the Arch logo? Sounds like
>> a "cease and desist" letter would fix that problem.
>
> Notice that some use of our trademark by derivatives is allowed[0].
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
> (who recently started using ArchLinux ARM and is a big fan)
>
> [0]:
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:TrademarkPolicy#Permitted_Use>

Judging from a brief read of that paragraph I would even conclude that
they cannot really use our name and trademark directly as they changed
too much. :-)

They chose to be completely independent from us which has up- and
downsides. And as lots of other derivatives thy implemented their own
tools and infrastructure.

It'll be interesting what could happen in the future. E.g. there was
once an independent port of Arch called Arch64 which was merged into
Arch itself some day and we started to officially support x86_64. I
don't see such things happen any time soon if at all. But if we indeed
see capable hardware at some point and we developers start using the arm
port such things might happen naturally. That being said, I am happy
that people are already working on such a port.

Back to topic: I see how users might get confused by naming and logos.
The same happens with archlinuxppc.org. But I'd rather not have a strict
policy about trademark use and enforcing it (see how the Debian/Mozilla
-> Iceweasel/Firefox issue did any good). Maybe we can encourage the arm
people to work more closely with us though.

Greetings,

Pierre