[arch-general] Upgrading password hashes

Chris Sakalis chrissakalis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:52:05 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> When upgrading to a stronger hash I have never tested if it stops you
> from using the same password when the hashes are different because it
> matches both but I expect, that would be how it works. Is that the
> issue? In that usually you would expect a password change at upgrade
> time but on a new install that may not be a consideration.

Exactly. I assume the reason passwd does not allow you to set the same
password, is because sometimes you have to change your password, for
example on systems that have an expiration date for passwords.
Choosing the same password would beat the purpose. Again, this isn't
really a problem, so let's not continue this conversation on the
mailing list, spamming everyone's inboxes.

Regards,
Chris Sakalis