[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sun Jul 22 12:45:28 EDT 2012

On Sunday 22 Jul 2012 6:28:58 PM Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I didn't mean the Arch devs, I meant Mr. Poettering & friends.
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> > I made clear
> > that I think the Arch devs have a difficult task, trying to keep the Arch
> > spirit while keeping in sync with upstream. This may prove impossible if
> > "upstream" is taken over by a couple of devs with a huge superavit of
> > self-esteem and a deficit of esteem for Unix. Again, having contempt for
> > Unix is perfectly legitimate, but they should assume it and start their
> > own OS. One can always hope that things will change for the better
> > upstream.
>
> I'd like to point out that systemd upstream is very easy to work with,
> and I have never had problems getting in changes (except for when I
> was wrong of course). If you have technical concerns and phrase them
> in a technical way they will be taken seriously. Admittedly there is
> not much patience for non-technical objections.

Just a satisfied long time user voting in :)

I support keeping exiting init system as far as feasible. Its not broken, why
change it and all.. having systemd and initscripts running side by side, is
best of both the worlds..

BUT rc.conf is merely the front end to it, and matters only so much. If it is
replaced by various config files, so be it. So long as they work as
documented( and they do, thanks to the arch developers), front end does not
matter.

systemd is a big project and it will take time to be as reliable as current
init scriptS(may be it already is.. haven't tried for an year or so).

<anecdote>
I was on systemd once, about an year back.. just to find out first-hand, what
the hoopla is all about. It worked, no fuss but nothing great over current
initscripts for a typical developer workstation/desktop.

However one fine day, an abrupt power-cut later, my home partition was no
longer mountable under systemd. Initscripts worked fine. So I switched back..
didn't miss a thing..
</anecdote>

And to all the people considering BSD, have you considered that freebsd just
got binary updates(dunno about signed packages there), a release back and they
are going thr. a major C++ runtime overhaul that will take couple of release
to shake down and an year down the line, they will struggle once wayland goes
mainstream?

arch is the best base OS out there. Its stable by philosophy, has rolling
releases and has linux(for comparison with BSD and hardware supports). Nothing
else come any closer.

--
Regards
 Shridhar