[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Nicholas MIller nick.kyky at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 17:02:14 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 22.07.2012 22:45, schrieb David C. Rankin:
> >  I prefer a well commented rc.conf config file to virtually all of the
> other
> > sysv and variations I've seen. A single file, well laid out and easily
> set up
> > with reasonable defaults by Arch and simple to customize for the user.
> KISS in
> > the best sense.
>
> I don't think a single Arch specific file is as simple as some
> "standardized" files, where the filename already tells you what it is
> supposed to do. Both comments and defaults are allowed and appreciated,
> so this is not an argument at all.
>
> Best regards,
> Karol Babioch
>
> In regrards to splitting the file i believe it comes down to who do we
want arch to be KISS for
If we want it kiss for the TU
  we should split the file, after all thats one less arch specific patch
If we want it kiss for the End User
  we should leave the file as is

I'm not sure if it would be feasible or kiss but i suppose one could try
and make it so the file is dynamic based off the individual files...
actually on reading that its a horrible idea