[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 11:29:26 EDT 2012

> > to get rid of all that
> > Poetterix
>
> Once again this is not a technical argument, but a very subjective
> reason with - at least for me - no basis. Its more of a philosophy and
> that's not what this should be about.
>
> If you *really* like an audio stack without PulseAudio (which I would
> consider quite useless on a modern desktop) and an init system based
> upon something as old, "stupid" and slow as SysVinit, then you are free
> to stick with it. Nobody forces you to use PA and/or systemd.

Tested, simply sophisticated and as fast as you make it. Once you get
to desktop level and SSDs, who cares about a few seconds.

The fastest booting systems (< 1 second) use init and won't use systemd.

It would be good if you would practice what you preach especially when
he has made hugely valid contributions that can't be fixed using
systemd. Systemds functions can be replicated in the unix style of many
tools doing a single job well.

WRT pulse audio it won't run under a grsecurity kernel so first
I'd say define modern desktop. How functional, how secure.