[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Jul 24 10:07:50 EDT 2012

Am Tue, 24 Jul 2012 23:40:51 +1000
schrieb Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org>:

> [2012-07-24 09:19:27 -0400] Baho Utot:
> > He is stating his opinion and that should be valued....
>
> Baseless opinions are not valuable, they are spam.

Actually they are not baseless even if he didn't explain every single
argument in detail.

But I think e.g. regarding the UNIX philosophy he is totally right. And
it actually shouldn't be necessary to explain in detail as the UNIX
philosophy should be very well known anyway.

Yes, I don't like those Windoze like ini files of systemd, too.

Everything is and should stay a file, and every tool should do only
one task but this should be done well. This is, btw., also the KISS
philosophy.

I really regularly wonder why people become offensive if other people
say their opinions and if other people's opinions doesn't match their
own opinions.

Well, yes, some of Kevin's e-mails have been a bit pointless. But he is
not really spamming. He just says his opinion. And it doesn't seem to
be unqualified.

Btw., in all those discussions about systemd as well as in all those
discussions about PulseAudio, I always read more or less
technical arguments from people who have objections against them or
have tried them and have seen that they don't really work. From the
people who like systemd and/or PulseAudio I only read arguments like
"it's faster", "it's an evolution", "it's new", "everybody
(distribution) uses it", "it has this and that feature", which actually
only makes sense and works in a very few cases or can easily be
achieved in other ways. But I haven't, yet, read any technical argument
for them, why it is technically better, why it doesn't break the UNIX
philosophy, why it is reliable enough etc.

Heiko