[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Tue Jul 24 12:31:22 EDT 2012

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:02:24 -0300
Martin Cigorraga <msx at archlinux.us> wrote:

> "What exactly is wrong
> with ini files and/or registry? Perhaps it is your misunderstanding..."
>
> Oh please, if you ever dealt with windows registry then you know
> it's a totally disfunctional way to keep record of anything.

Yes, I deal a lot with windows registry. In fact, I usually edit it directly
to bypass standard program removal and service management.

> Over time it gets oversized, filled with crap, slow and totally impractical,
> in one word: bloated, and please, while windows may implement one
> or two good ideas the underlying infraestructure is as much messy
> as is it's registry.

The problem is not with the registry itself, but bad programming. Most
software devs under windows have very little understanding of the registry.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D