[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Wed Jul 25 02:47:22 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> I wonder if ArmArch will run systemd.
>
> ArchLinux ARM ships systemd, just like we do. On my ARM machine (a
> Raspberry Pi running ArchLinux ARM) I use it, and as I mentioned it
> works great.

indeed, i also run it on my Sheevaplug and more recently Pandaboard --
my new toy :-)

to reiterate the above ... it works fantastic.  the Pandaboard runs 9
custom unit files (1/2 of which are just mods to the shipped unit
files):

u.dhcpd4.service
u.dnsmasq.service
u.fwknopd.service
u.hostapd.service
iptables.service
u.net.dhcp at .service
u.net.static at .service
u.openvpn.service (writing now :-)
u.services.target

... and combined with 2 custom mkinitcpio hooks (to autogenerate
uImage/uInitrd files) every single aspect of the system is fully
managed.

and ALL units, together, sans comments and empty lines, total a
whopping 97 lines ...

by comparison, the iptables and dnsmasq rc.d scripts over 60 lines EACH.

on this system, all systemd processes are using less memory than ntpd,
sshd, rsyslog, bash, dhcpd ... in fact it's among the lightest of them
all.

it's barely using more than TOP! bang. systemd++

--

C Anthony