[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Wed Jul 25 10:13:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo at austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> On 07/25/12 at 01:47am, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
>> to reiterate the above ... it works fantastic.  the Pandaboard runs 9
>> custom unit files (1/2 of which are just mods to the shipped unit
>> files):
>>
>> u.dhcpd4.service
>> u.dnsmasq.service
>> u.fwknopd.service
>> u.hostapd.service
>> iptables.service
>> u.net.dhcp at .service
>> u.net.static at .service
>> u.openvpn.service (writing now :-)
>> u.services.target
>>

> What does u.net.static at .service do? If something similar to ifplugd, I'm
> interested :)

i haven't used ifplugd before so i'm not 100% sure how it all
compares, but basically this unit file is linked directly to a network
device -- ie. the existence of the device itself is what triggers it.
the unit is also "bound" to the device, so if it disappears
(unplugged, whatever) then the unit is also deactivated/shutdown (kill
dhcp/etc).

i conveniently just pasted/explained these files in another thread:

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2012-July/028656.html

... take a look :-) im trying to find ways to make them more flexible,
but the important bit is the:

sys-subsystem-net-devices-lan0.device.wants/[...]

... which says "when device `lan0` shows up, trigger [...]"

NOTE: archive is mangling the "email addresses", use paste instead:
http://dpaste.com/775183/

--

C Anthony