[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 11:34:24 EDT 2012

> Hello Heiko,
>
> this is simply not true.
>
> First of all, starting with Windows XP the stability of Windows (yes, Windows, not Windoze) got much better and there are very few crashes which are mostly related to driver issues, IMO.

Incidentally, I installed a fresh XP a couple of weeks ago. The system
had some sort of IDE cable problem that Linux tolerated. I finally got
XP updated and ready to backup and after a reboot a message like. One of
your registry files got corrupted and has been recovered with a backup.
Nothing in task bar, start menu empty, various other problems. Why
should one corrupted file damage so much but you also hope for a concise
universal interface with the opposite seeming to come along more often.

Try getting Gnome3 to not raise a window on click, it's easier but
still problematic to get it to not raise a window on focus.

> Secondly, Windows doesn't need to be reinstalled every 3 months. Come on, most companies use Windows on their desktops and they don't need to reinstall them every 3 months. And their employees actually can work with their computers.

You can't argue that it won't have slowed down all by itself. Some
blame temp files, MFT, hidden malware your AV can't find but the
registry can certainly take some blame, isn't a universal interface
and has configuration strewn all over the place under hex codes
needing deciphered that are as bad as some of the error messages.