[arch-general] lib -> usr/lib

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Thu Jul 26 04:33:39 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:
> Rodrigo Rivas <rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com> on Thu, 2012/07/26 10:18:
>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Jayesh Badwaik
>> <jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Why will /opt have to go?
>> >

>> Well, then:
>>
>>     /opt -> /usr/opt
>>
>> And everyone will be happy :)
>>
>> BTW, will there be the move from /bin to /usr/bin in the foreseeable future?
>
> Good question. I can not remember having seen and recent plans on it.
>
> This gives an idea about which packages still have files in /bin/:
>
> $ pacman -Qoq /bin/* | sort | uniq
>
> And the same for /sbin/:
>
> $ pacman -Qoq /sbin/* | sort | uniq
>
> No single file that does not belong to a package here... Good conditions for a
> smooth update. ;)

i've got nothing to back this up, but i'm guessing this one is going
to be a little trickier ... mainly because there are multiple packages
that are *expected* to exist in /bin.  `bash` (sh) and `coreutils` are
the two major ones that come to mind.

i expect pacman does not fork out to external processes, and can
handle the switch itself, but it's not as easy as the incremental lib
-> usr/lib update (which affects nothing) ... i expect there will be a
final switcharoo at the end where 2+ packages must all be moved in one
fell swoop.

Tom? others? i too am curious of the progress or experiences thus far.

--

C Anthony