[arch-general] Systemd : Analysis of reactions of Users

Stephen E. Baker baker.stephen.e at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:45:55 EDT 2012

On 27/07/2012 9:29 AM, Mike wrote:
> On 27/07/12 13:57, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
>> The 27/07/12, Mike wrote:
>>
>>> I'm aware of that, but that doesn't mean one can't fix them. Nobody
>>> said, that the code base of sysvinit shouldn't be modified.
>> It would have been fixed for a long time if it were easy enough. :-)
>>
> Uhm there are init systems available that are baesd on or using sysvinit
> or at least are trying to stay compatible (e.g. upstart), without
> reinventing
> the wheel or declare the unix philosophy obsolote.

AFAIK systemd is trying to stay backwards compatible at least in the
sense that upstart is.  It can parse old initscripts, and there is even
a target in archlinux that will read your DAEMONS array so you can
pretend you never switched.  All this other stuff is just a more
powerful option in systemd that people can move to as they're ready.