[arch-general] rc.conf changes, virtual consoles and initramfs

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 07:40:16 EDT 2012

So now that rc.conf was split and the change pushed to the stable repos
I have been doing the necessary changes in my system.

One problem I have found is that it is not clear how I can configure the
system to load (in my case) pt-latin9 and compose.latin1 automatically.
This is needed to be able to type things like â and ã.

Having KEYMAP="pt-latin9 compose.latin1" in /etc/vconsole.conf will
result in an error during boot. Another thing I have noticed is that
this change may affect the keymap hook for people that need a fully
working mapping, such as people with encrypted root.

>From what I understand /etc/vconsole.conf will be sourced by
/usr/lib/initcpio/install/keymap, listing both keymaps will probably
result in an error that will not be reported since -q is used. Listing
both keymaps separately will also not work since only the last
attribution will take affect.

Am I missing something here, or have I stumbled upon a problem?

--
Mauro Santos