[arch-general] wget

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:18:03 EDT 2012

Don deJuan <donjuansjiz at gmail.com> writes:

> On 05/02/2012 11:35 AM, Jeremiah Dodds wrote:
>> Don deJuan<donjuansjiz at gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Um, was a sarcastic joke LOL
>>
>> Yes, with no indication in reply to a genuine (and fairly reasonable, if
>> you remember being a newbie to linux) question.
>
> LOL ok thanks for your educational reminder. Next time I will RTFM of n00bs
> before replying

You ... pretty much have to regardless.

> to something that deserves as much of a poking as it does an
> answer. Honestly to me if you are using a different OS, make no claim to using
> Arch and you decide to post to here to find an answer, a poking is well
> deserved.

A poking, or an RTFM, sure. All I'm saying is that what you posted
doesn't help the noob. RTFM helps the noob. Pointing out that this place
has nothing to do with Mint, even mockingly (even at Drepper levels of
intensity), helps the noob.

"Making a joke" that is only a joke to people who know enough not to do
the thing the noob did does not help the noob.

It's not your responsibility to help, it's also not your responsibility
to hinder. We were all dumb noobs once, and I for one don't feel good if
I plant misinformation in someones head, intentionally or not.

YMMV, of course.