[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 7 12:19:58 EDT 2012

On Mon, 07 May 2012 22:40:01 +0800
XeCycle wrote:

> Violations of this philosophy can be easily found.  The Linux
> kernel is such one.  It is already big, with many misfeatures, or
> "anitfeature"s; but we all use it, right?  Linus said such a
> design simplifies the intercommunication between kernel modules.

I disagree, your obviously clutching at straws, OpenBSD, no modules but
monolithic yes. Many argue for and against monolithic or kernels such
as QNX where drivers can't hang the kernel (atleast in theory). This is
irrelevent. Simple tools do become more than they're parts. grep, cut,
tr, cat and do they're particular job well and with less bugs. Init is a
simple job.

The main case you didn't bring up is perhaps where speed is paramount.
I can't think of any others of the top of my head and certainly none
that apply to whether the ultimate dependency, init, should be complex.

Imagine a system where the kernel had been stripped down to kilobytes
yet init was megabytes.

p.s. I wouldn't mind knowing more about event driven too. I believe I
was given an impression of what it was when systemd first hit ubuntu but
I can't remember finding out exactly. A quick google just now turned up
nothing.