[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 7 12:54:34 EDT 2012

On Mon, 7 May 2012 17:39:35 +0200
Tom Gundersen wrote:

> An event-driven init system would turn this on its head, and never
> wait for "all the things to be ready", rather start things on-demand
> and whenever their dependencies are satisfied. This leads to a much
> simpler system (from the admin/system daemon developers point of
> view), but it requires the init system to keep closer control over the
> state of the system, listen to events, etc.

But a much more complicated one from the admin/system user in terms
of troubleshooting. Also in terms of auditing. Rather than seeing what
ports are listening by default, we have to investigate (hopefully in
one location) to know what will be listened to upon any future possible
event. I hope efforts made to make that very clear.

Thanks for the explanation, are there some examples of what this means
we can do that couldn't be done in any way outside of init before.