[arch-general] view command

Guillaume Alaux guillaume at alaux.net
Tue May 8 13:06:19 EDT 2012

On 8 May 2012 18:27, Tiago Sousa <tsousahs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey.
> I don't have that behavior here but i guess if you set the environment
> EDITOR variable to vim it should work.
>
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM, G. Schlisio <g.schlisio at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> hi all,
>> i stumbled over view being a link to ex, and not to vim, as i am used to
>> with several other distros (opensuse, debian). is there any particular
>> reason for that behaviour?
>> thanks
>> georg

Looking at the vi PKGBUILD [0] (as 'view' belongs to package 'vi') we
don't make any change to 'view'. This mean the way it is in Arch seems
to be upstream (not saying this is better, just givng the reason).

In the end your answer might be "because Arch ships 'vi'".

[0] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/vi

--
Guillaume