[arch-general] qt applications gone black

gt static.vortex at gmx.com
Wed May 9 05:51:02 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 11:31:08AM +0200, CodeVision wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2012 14:34:27 +0530
> gt <static.vortex at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > I had removed libgnomeui a year back, and everything was working fine
> > in the meantime.
> >
> > Unfortunately libgnomeui fetches a lot of unnecessary gnome stuff,
> > gvfs, udisks2 etc. Isn't there some other solution?
>
> From your picture and description, the problem you have seems similar to
> the problem I had a while ago. If the error message you get when you run
> e.g. VLC from the command line is:
>
> QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
>
> I reckon its the same problem. As far as I know, there's no real
> solution for it, just a few workarounds. I solved it by installing
> 'gconf' [1] which has a lot less dependencies than libgnomeui. If you
> are not running gnome, you might also have to run:
>
> gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme
> your_theme_name
>
> For more information you can look in this forum thread [2], where I
> also got this solution from.
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> [1] http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gconf/  or
> 	http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/gconf/
> [2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=775685

Nope my problem was different. Thanks for your help, but i finally found
a solution on the forums itself.

The last post by ecmel solves the problem for me. I had recently
borrowed .Xresources colours from someone on the forums, which were like

*.background:
*.foreground:

Changing them to urxvt.background, i.e., removing the wildcard solved
the problem. Who would have thought that .Xresources would be accessed
by qt, but apparently it is.

Thanks to all for the help.