[arch-general] drop slim in favor of lightdm

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Wed May 9 09:59:28 EDT 2012

Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> on Tue, 2012/05/08 10:35:
> Any thoughts on that?

Ok, some notes from myself...

There were two reasons why I did not use lxdm:

* I thought it did not work with challenge response authentication via pam.
  Obviously this is not true: You can enter the password only only, but it is
  tested for every pam prompt. So I can enter unix password or oath token -
  both work.
  The only "problem" is that it does not show the pam message ("One-time
  password (OATH) for ..." - but I can live with that.

* I had trouble interactively selecting a session from lxdm. It took me some
  time to find the cause: The greeter did not give session type to lxdm when
  no language selection dropdown was shown.
  I fixed that (see https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29814), now everything
  works fine.

Additionally it seems to fix a problem with mouse cursor...

So for now I will stick with lxdm I think. Thus I am fine with not having
lightdm in the official repos.
--
main(a,b){char*/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */c="B?IJj;M"
"EHCX:;";for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)