[arch-general] broken zip after upgrade

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Sun May 13 07:02:37 EDT 2012

On 05/13/2012 11:17 AM, rafael ff1 wrote:
> 2012/5/13 Arno Gaboury<arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com>:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> after a whole bunch of fresh upgrades yesterday, 2012/05/12, I can not unzip
>> with File Roller (default app), with expanding tar.gz still working.
>>
>> Here are the two error messages:
>>
>> */There is no command installed for Zip archive files.
>> Do you want to search for a command to open this file?/*
> Do you have the packages 'zip' and 'unzip' installed ?
>
>> Then I click on search command button, it brings a new window:
>>
>> */There was an internal error trying to search for applications:
>> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
>> org.freedesktop.PackageKit was not provided by any .service files/*
>>

>> I have no certitude, but I suspect the outdated polkit 0.104 could be the
>> culprit.
>>
>> There is a new 0.105 version since a few weeks on the website:
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/polkit/snapshot/polkit-0.105.tar.gz
>>
>> Following instructions, I was able to build it fine, but I don't want to
>> make install on my system, as I understand it is a good way to break it.
>>
>> I decided to create a package following the Archwiki.
>>
>> Here is my PKGBUILD file :
>>
>> /*# $Id$
>> # Maintainer: Jan de Groot<jgc at archlinux.org>
>>
>> pkgname=polkit
>> pkgver=0.105
>> pkgrel=2
>> pkgdesc="Application development toolkit for controlling system-wide
>> privileges"
>> arch=(i686 x86_64)
>> license=('LGPL')
>> url="http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PolicyKit"
>> depends=('glib2' 'pam' 'expat')
>> makedepends=('intltool' 'gtk-doc' 'gobject-introspection')
>> replaces=('policykit')
>> options=('!libtool')
>> source=(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/polkit/snapshot/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
>>
>> md5sums=('ad070a194d444fa89f627fd54a124fad')
>>
>> build() {
>>   cd $pkgname-$pkgver
>>   autoconf
>>   ./autogen.sh
>>   make
>> }
>>
>> check() {
>>   cd $pkgname-$pkgver
>>   make -k check
>> }
>>
>> package() {
>>   cd $pkgname-$pkgver
>>   make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
>>
>>   install -m644 "$srcdir/polkit.pam" "$pkgdir/etc/pam.d/polkit-1"
>> }*/
>>
>> I corrected the old 0.104 one according to the new changes. I have problem
>> with md5sums, and have no real idea how to write the numbers.
>> makepkg returns an error :
>>
>> /*Validating source files with md5sums...
>>     polkit-0.105.tar.gz ... FAILED*/
>>

>> So 2 questions :
>>   how to deal with this md5sums error?
>> Once this issue is solved, can I makepkg and install on my system, whitout
>> breaking anything?

> [...]

********************************

File Roller and zips work just fine here and as far as I know polkit has
nothing to do with extracting compressed archives, your problem is
somewhere else. Your hint should be the message "There is no command
installed for Zip archive files." so you want to install zip and unzip
and leave polkit alone.

TY for answers. Will try everything asap.

As for zip and unzip, I have been able to unzip for months before the upgrade, so my first guess was the issue doesn't come from this side.

As for md5sums, let's say I manage to solve this part of PKGBUILD. Just for academic puprose, once PKGBUILD is tested suceessfully, is it sage to install this package this way?

TY.