[arch-general] cups 1.5.3-3 requires gs

rara8avis at aol.com rara8avis at aol.com
Tue May 29 16:54:15 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:59:44PM +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Am Tue, 29 May 2012 14:05:28 -0500
> schrieb rara8avis at aol.com:
>
> > On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 01:48:24PM -0500, Leonid Isaev wrote:

> > > cups-filters optionally depends on ghostscript (just as cups
> > > 1.5.3-2 did).
> > >
> > This is not an optional dependance that I am talking about.  When I
> > tried to print from libreoffice via cups 1.5.3-3, cups failed because
> > it called gs but I had no ghostscript installed.  After installed gs,
> > I print easily. So my experience is that gs is now a necessity to
> > print through cups.
> >
> > 	T.
> >

> Ghostscript should only be needed if your printer is not
> capable to print PostScript directly. So it was in the past with pure
> cups. That's also what cups-filters README says. Maybe you have to
> (re)choose your driver now or try a different one.
>
> -Andy

Thanks.  I have used the ppd file from Brother for years, which, as I
understand it, includes a ps emulation.  Cups-filters is new with me as of
today and seems to be what requires gs.  Oddly, the log shows gs is called
and then deactivated; so its installation is required (cups quits without
gs) but ultimately not used.  I reselected the driver in the frontend to
cups but that didn't change the gs requirement.  It would be nice not to
install unneeded software.

	T.