[arch-general] What is FONT_MAP for?

Damjan gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 13:30:03 EDT 2012

On чет, 01 ное 2012 14:28:43 CET, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
> Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM, "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr> wrote:
>>>          So what is FONT_MAP for?
>>
>> Check the setfont(8) manpage.
>>
> 	Thanks. So if I understand correctly, it is useful for programs
> that output 8 bit characters that are not valid UTF-8 sequences and
> serves to convert their output into valid unicode for display, right?

No,
some console fonts don't have a Unicode map, so they're essentially an
index -> glyph file where index is from 0-255. A unicode map adds a
"Unicode Code Point -> index" mapping.

Most fonts in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts should have bult-in maps
(haven't checked though). For those that don't have it, there's the -m
option in setfont or FONT_MAP.

Without an unicode map, you must make sure the loaded font has the same
layout as the charset you're using. Without the unicode map you can't
use utf8

--
дамјан