[arch-general] USB 3G Modem: no remote host reachable, while connection (seems to) establish correctly

Sebastian Lipp bacuh at riseup.net
Wed Nov 21 04:08:11 EST 2012

On 2012-11-21 07:42, Robbie Smith wrote:
> On 21/11/12 04:18, Sebastian Lipp wrote:
> >I've got a problem with my Huawei E220 (not entirely sure about this) 3G modem
> >stick. It used to work for several days without any issues but someone closed
> >my laptop's lid so that it slept away and since I can't reach any remote
> >machine.
> >
> >Everything seems to be normal, even the "defaulting to 10.64.64.64" message by
> >pppd is in the logs from times it worked... I played around with the routes
> >but was not able to solve my problem.
> >
> >pppd connects successfully and sets the routes and DNS servers. Interesting is
> >that I don't get answers to any ping. Even the DNS servers don't answer but my
> >machine resolves domain names. Putting for example googles DNS server 8.8.8.8
> >into /etc/resov.conf doesn't help.
> >
> >I even tried to kick wvdial by following
> ><https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/3G_and_GPRS_modems_with_pppd_alone>.
> >Everything seems to work identically. The problem is also the same.
> >
> >I dont't know how to solve this problem. Perhaps someone here can help me.
> >Below are those informations I thought would be helpful. I will happily
> >provide any further information that might help.

> What CHAT scripts are you using to connect?

I don't know where wvdial stores it's chatscripts, so I can't give an
answer to this. When tried to do it like
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/3G_and_GPRS_modems_with_pppd#.2Fetc.2Fppp.2Fchatscripts>
I copy-pasted the files from wiki article. I just adapted the apn.* and
pin.* files to my needs, the rest is identical.

> And what’s the content of your /etc/resolv{,.head,.tail}?

They don't exist.

> I don’t know if it will help, but I uploaded the scripts in the wiki for
> netcfg so it will connect via pppd as an AUR package[1], and that gives lots
> of debug output from the modem. You’ll probably need to create a few extra
> files with the information of your connection (APN, pin, mode, etc).

I will test this till tomorrow.

Thanks.

--
basti