[arch-general] Polluted login prompt

kachelaqa kachelaqa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 13:19:49 EST 2012

On 21/11/12 16:00, Sudaraka Wijesinghe wrote:
> I start both Apache and MySQL services on boot, and both of them display
> the start complete message after the login prompt.
>
> Something like this:
>> Starting MySQL
>> Starting Apache
>> login: [ OK ] MySQL started
>> [ OK ] Apache started
>
> Although this doesn't break anything it just doesn't look nice. (BTW,
> I'm not using any DM and getty is set NOT to clear any boot messages)

I had this exact same problem with certain services spewing messages
over my login prompt.

I solved it by adding a slight delay to the startup of the offending
service.

That is, I created a file like this:

[Timer]
OnActiveSec=30

And saved it as /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/httpd.timer.

See man systemd.timer for further info.

HTH