[arch-general] Suggestions for email for a paranoid Archer

Menachem Moystoviz moystovi at g.jct.ac.il
Thu Oct 11 19:35:13 EDT 2012

Reading through the responses, I find that my previous evaluation of
my options was correct.
The most reliable and easiest solution, by far, would be to set up a
standard account,
and to download a copy of all emails. The only problems with this are
the lack of control and privacy.
My other option is to host my own mail server, either at home or on a
VPS (which would cost more),
which means much lowered reliability, a couple of days' worth of time
setting up a rudimentary system,
and sleepless nights wondering whether it was being compromised or
used to relay spam.
Benefits: control and semi-ascertained privacy.

Therefore, I think I should go with the first route, possibly
searching for ways to ensure end-to-end encryption
and to make the email address's domain my own.

However, to those who support using a VPS or hosting at home - how do
you deal with the lessened reliability,
costs and headache? Is it as bad as I think it is, or is it possibly a
fruitful and useful endeavor?

Thank you all,

Gesh