[arch-general] Polishing systemd

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 16 05:00:47 EDT 2012

Am 16.10.2012 09:25, schrieb Martín Cigorraga:
> 1. Units with errors shown in systemctl --all:
> arch-modules-load.service                            error  inactive
> dead          arch-modules
> auditd.service                                              error  inactive
> dead          auditd.servi
> plymouth-quit-wait.service                            error  inactive
> dead          plymouth-qui
> plymouth-start.service                                  error  inactive
> dead          plymouth-sta
> rc-local-shutdown.service                             error  inactive
> dead          rc-local-shu
> rc-local.service                                            error  inactive
> dead          rc-local.ser
> syslog.service                                             error  inactive
> dead          syslog.servi

Some active services have Wants dependencies on those, I think. If you
want a good overview over your systemd, rather look at 'systemctl
--failed' and 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

> A journalctl --this-boot shows:
> Cannot add dependency job for unit arch-modules-load.service, ignoring:
> Unit arch-modules-load.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
> See system
> logs and 'systemctl status arch-modules-load.service' for details.
>
> That's because there isn't such file, right, but why is systemd trying to
> start it in
> first place?

No idea why it shows that, but arch-modules-load.service is part of
initscripts.

> 2. KDE-related issues:
> a) It seems a bit buggy to launch KDE SC through xinit: KDE's power options
> will not
> be present (KDE will not enable it's own reboot and shutdown options). This
> don't
> really worry me too much since I've read somewhere there're plans to
> rebuild all login
> managers to systemd-logind enabled - while dropping ConsoleKit.

Reboot and Shutdown only work in KDE when you use kdm, not with xinit.
There's some special care to be taken when using xinit/startx with
logind - explained here:

http://blog.falconindy.com/articles/back-to-basics-with-x-and-systemd.html

> b) If KDE is launched through xinit it will not see the built-in sound card
> and will offer
> to remove it from it's supported devices. Otherwise if KDE is initiated via
> KDM every-
> things works right.

Same logind issue as above.

> c) KDM reboot and poweroff commands must be updated to systemd's way or
> else the
> traditional shutdown command will hang the system on reboot/shutdown.

If you install systemd-sysvcompat (now the default), you can keep using
KDM's default poweroff and reboot commands.

> 3. $ systemctl reboot and $ systemctl shutdown features:
> I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of having restricted users with
> the hability to
> reboot or shutdown the system, is there any way to change this so only r00t
> can issue
> these orders? (Without going dirty.)

Interesting, but I don't know. This may be a polkit setting. If you find
out, I'd be interested.