[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [PSA] minor filesystem changes

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Wed Oct 24 19:46:24 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:43:23 +0200
> Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I just pushed a new filesystem package to testing with two minor changes:
>>
>> We now rely on nss-myhostname being installed, so we no longer have to
>> instruct people to put their local hostname in /etc/hosts.
>> The archlinux(7) manpage was updated to reflect that, as well as to
>> refer to some features of systemd in testing which should make the
>> basic setup more straight-forward (timezone and hostname config in
>> particular).
>
> So, is it safe to remove /etc/hosts after updating the filesystem, or there
> are some applications which still expect it?.. Thanks.

For ipv4, I think applications using FQDN with "dnsdomainname",
"hostname -f" will still need custom /etc/hosts. I doesn't find a way
to provide (compatible with those softs) FQDN to nss-myhostname and
systemd definition of hostname (understand without dots in
/etc/hostname).

For ipv6, despite a negative comment in code[1], reverse seems to get
hostname and not localhost6.
# getent hosts ::1
2a01:240:fe00:8205:223:14ff:fed2:9224 rwolf

[1] http://git.0pointer.de/?p=nss-myhostname.git;a=blob;f=nss-myhostname.c;h=83180ad80532713dc6bb9ca2c23e21629568b026;hb=HEAD

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer