[arch-general] How to specify a Type 1 font in .Xresources?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:18:04 EDT 2012

Damjan said the following at 10/31/2012 12:08 PM :

> Anyway, assuming your application uses X11 core fonts, xlsfonts will
> list them all. The Xorg server has bult-in support for TrueType, Type1
> and bitmap fonts, and a default search path for them (check for
> "FontPath set to" in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file). Fonts installed by
> packages are usually automatically available.

0a. "xlsfonts" returns 3730 lines of fonts. How do I tell whether the font
contained in ufonts.com_ti92pluspc.pfb is one of them? Grepping for, for
example, "ti92" or "ufont" returns no hits, but perhaps neither of those
strings is relevant, since those are in the file name, not necessarily the
font name. So how can I tell what name to search for?

0b. If I open ufonts.com_ti92pluspc.pfb with KFontFiew, then it calls the font
"Ti92Pluspc, Regular". But if I execute "xlsfonts | grep [Pp]lus" I still get
no hits.

1. There is no /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. (I saw that the wiki entry at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration says to check this, so
I had already tried to do that and discovered that the file doesn't exist.)

2. Executing "xset q" tells me (slightly reformatted so as to avoid wrapping
issues):
FontPath:
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
  /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
  built-ins

3. The font I want to use is in one of those directories:
$ ls -al /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1
total 76
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Oct 30 17:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Oct 30 17:50 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   184 Oct 30 17:50 fonts.dir
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   184 Oct 30 17:50 fonts.scale
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 58184 Oct 30 17:50 ufonts.com_ti92pluspc.pfb
$

So that suggests that the font should be available. But I have no idea:
  a) how to check that it is in fact available; nor
  b) what to put in the .Xresources file so that the xterm class uses it

As usual, I have looked at a lot of UNIX font-related web pages before ever
posting here, but they are so contradictory and ambiguous that they were worse
than useless.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR