[arch-general] Updating iputils over NFS

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 11:19:15 EDT 2012

I'm having an issue updating a system that boots over NFS.  Attempting to
upgrade the iputils package results in the following:

---8<-------------------------------
(1/1) upgrading iputils
[###########################] 100%
Failed to set capabilities on file `usr/bin/ping' (Operation not supported)
usage: setcap [-q] [-v] (-r|-|<caps>) <filename> [ ... (-r|-|<capsN>)
<filenameN> ]

 Note <filename> must be a regular (non-symlink) file.
Failed to set capabilities on file `usr/bin/ping6' (Operation not supported)
usage: setcap [-q] [-v] (-r|-|<caps>) <filename> [ ... (-r|-|<capsN>)
<filenameN> ]

 Note <filename> must be a regular (non-symlink) file.

I suspect this is something to do with NFS not supporting the capabilities
that setcap is trying to use, but I admit I haven't encountered capabilities
before I ran into this issue, so it's just a guess.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or does anyone have an idea how to fix it?

Paul