[arch-general] directive 'SyncFirst'

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Fri Apr 5 13:09:59 EDT 2013

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 03:24:52 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> how can be ensured that e.g. linux-headers are updated first in the
> future?

Manually: pacman -Sy linux-headers && pacman -Su.

> I couldn't find a word on the English Arch website and just the
> information that it is ignored now, without a hint what to do, on the
> German website.
>
> [root at archlinux yaourt-git]# pacman -Syu
> warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 19: directive 'SyncFirst' in
> section 'options' not recognized.
> :: Synchronizing package databases...
>  core is up to date
>  extra is up to date
>  community is up to date
>  multilib is up to date
> :: Starting full system upgrade...
> warning: ardour: ignoring package upgrade (2.8.16-1 => 3.0-1)
>  there is nothing to do
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux yaourt-git]$ yaourt -Syu
> [sudo] password for rocketmouse:
> warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 19: directive 'SyncFirst' in
> section 'options' not recognized.
> :: Synchronizing package databases...
>  core is up to date
>  extra is up to date
>  community is up to date
>  multilib is up to date
> warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 19: directive 'SyncFirst' in
> section 'options' not recognized.

The SyncFirst option can cause problems when doing updates because for
instance binaries may end up missing shared libs, so it has been removed in
pacman 4.1 (there was even a bugreport about this).

I am afraid that yaourt and other frontends will have to be modified
correspondingly .

> Regards,
> Ralf

Cheers,