[arch-general] Solution for issues with "green" HDDs when gvfs is installed

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 22 10:02:47 EDT 2013

The assumption that udisks does wakes up sleeping drives seems to be
wrong, since when using this script, the drive will spin up after a
while:

$ cat /usr/local/bin/gvfst-rvm
#!/bin/bash

gvfst_sudo=""
if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
  gvfst_sudo="sudo"
fi
case $1 in
  status)
         if test -f /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/udisks2.monitor; then
           echo "enabled"
         else
           echo "disabled"
         fi
         ;;
   start)
         $gvfst_sudo mv /root/udisks2.monitor /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors
         ;;
    stop)
         $gvfst_sudo mv /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/udisks2.monitor /root
         ;;
       *)
         echo "gvfs tool to disable and enable usage of udisks2 remote volume monitor"
         echo "gvfst-rvm [start|stop|status]"
         ;;
esac
exit

$ pacman -Ql gvfs | grep gvfsd
gvfs /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-archive
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-burn
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-cdda
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-computer
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-dav
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-dnssd
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-ftp
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-fuse
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-http
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-localtest
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-metadata
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-network
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-recent
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-sftp
gvfs /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-trash
gvfs /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/gvfsd-fuse-tmpfiles.conf
gvfs /usr/share/man/man1/gvfsd-fuse.1.gz
gvfs /usr/share/man/man1/gvfsd-metadata.1.gz
gvfs /usr/share/man/man1/gvfsd.1.gz

When Mate or Xfce is running, all running gvfs daemons are stopped by

$ killall gvfsd gvfsd-metadata gvfsd-trash

on my machine, but they will be automatically restarted after a while.

However, Xfce isn't the problem, thunar doesn't have a hard dependency to
gvfs, but Cinnamon's nemo and Mate's caja have got.

At the moment I can't continue, but I keep an eye on it.

Regards,
Ralf