[arch-general] dpms in text mode worked 1st boot, now monitor blanks but won't power off

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 14:36:16 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM, David C. Rankin <
drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> [08:51 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # rmmod nvidia
> [08:51 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # lsmod | grep nv
> [08:51 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # modprobe nouveau
> [08:52 phoinix:/etc/clamav] # lsmod | grep no
> nouveau               904630  1
> ttm                    63411  1 nouveau
> drm_kms_helper         36286  1 nouveau
> i2c_algo_bit            5399  1 nouveau
> drm                   238206  3 ttm,drm_kms_helper,nouveau
> mxm_wmi                 1475  1 nouveau
> video                  11196  1 nouveau
> i2c_core               24164  6
> drm,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,adt7475,nouveau,i2c_nforce2
> wmi                     8419  2 mxm_wmi,nouveau
> button                  4677  1 nouveau
>
>   That's it! Monitor powered off after 1 min. But that begs the question,
> why
> doesn't console poweroff work with the nvidia driver? Doe the driver lack
> the
> capability? --or-- do the same associations (ttm, drm_kms_helper, etc..)
> just
> need to be made with the nvidia driver? If so, how?
>
>   For now, the easiest solution is just to remove the nvidia driver and
> make
> sure the nouveau driver is loaded on boot. However, if I decide to use the
> nvidia driver in the future, then I'm back in the same boat again. So, is
> there
> anyway to make the console poweroff work with the nvidia driver?

Well, the proprietary nvidia is known for focusing on X, the console has
been neglected, no KMS, basic DPMS, it seems...

The OS nouveau driver, however is doing things properly, if you have the
luck that your hw is supported. Nouveau -> more features, less performance.
Nvidia -> less features, more performance. Pick one.

Now, if you want to switch between them without rebooting, you can try to
remove one driver and modprobe the other. I wouldn't bet on the stability
of your kernel, though.

A safer solution would be to create two entries in the boot menu (grub or
whatever): one will blacklist nouveau, the other will blacklist nvidia.
With a bit of work you can even switch the mesa/libgl links to point to the
proper versions!

Best regards.
--
Rodrigo