[arch-general] New users not automatically added to 'users' group if -g default group specified?

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Wed Dec 4 22:10:45 EST 2013

[2013-12-04 12:57:23 -0600] Leonid Isaev:
> On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:16:46 -0600
> "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>
> >   In the past with arch installs, new users have always been added to the
> > 'users' group. Now that is not being done.
>
> In short, this is OK; your user doesn't need to be mentioned in /etc/groups
> after his primary group. If he is mentioned, then the primary group is also his
> supplementary one (which is anyway automatic).

A while back, the default primary group for all new users was "users".
It's not anymore: an individual group is created for each new user.

One can disable USERGROUPS_ENAB in login.defs to get the old behavior.

> This is done to save space in /etc/group on systems with large
> number of users.

So each user gets a home directory, generates log info under /var/log
upon login/logout, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow grow linearly in the
number of users, but we are going to shave a few bytes off /etc/group?
That's hard to believe.

--
Gaetan