[arch-general] Strange Problem with Greek characters

George Marinellis antibra at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:54:33 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

Recently i afford a strange problem in writing/reading greek characters
in my ArchBox.

The problem started when i tried to change the default locales and add
greek UTF-8 locales alongside to en_US.UTF-8.
Since then I could both write and read greek in urxvt(and all terminal
based programs like vim etc), kile and libreoffice.

When i made the changes and run "locale-gen", I cannot read & write ,in
any way, greek
characters in urxvt(and any other terminal like xterm), and though i
write greek in kile and libreoffice, I
cannot write with tons.

I've read wiki and talked to Archers from greek-community but no result.

I've tried to change with-no-result /etc/locale.gen, /etc/locale.conf,
/etc/vconsole.conf.

# Output to locale -a command:
------------------------------
POSIX
el_GR
el_GR.iso88597
el_GR.utf8
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
greek

#Contents of /etc/locale.conf:
------------------------------
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE=C
LC_NUMERIC=C
LC_TIME=C
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY=C
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER=C
LC_NAME=C
LC_ADDRESS=C
LC_TELEPHONE=C
LC_MEASUREMENT=C
LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
LC_ALL=

#Contents of /etc/vconsole.conf:
--------------------------------
KEYMAP="us"
FONT="ter-116n"
MAP="8859-7

# I contets of .Xdefaults (for urxvt configuration):
[1] http://animal.foss.ntua.gr/~fedjo/.Xdefaults

I'm in a Mess ( :-/ ), any suggestions appreciated

Thank you....

--
G.Mari