[arch-general] Protect a cron job from systemd

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Wed Jan 2 04:07:01 EST 2013

Hello list,

among various tasks, I also run "sysstat" for monitoring my server's load.
The way it runs by default is via the hourly cron, as a job that lasts
exactly one hour. Sometimes I need to stop crond (systemctl stop dcron) to
perform some short maintainance, and restart it a minute later that I'm
done.

Previously the "sadc" monitoring process of sysstat wasn't being killed,
since it double forked and stayed up as a daemon. Unfortunately now
systemd kills the whole cgroup, and in this manner it's possible to lose
up to one hour of accounting logs. Any ideas on how to instruct systemd to
not kill it when terminating crond?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris