[arch-general] Gnome3: gnome-shell and notifications, broken?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jan 7 00:52:46 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:59:10PM +0100, Jan Steffens wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> > What I find surprising here is that
> >
> > 1. I never get to see the text, no matter what I do
> > 2. 'open' doesn't open but removes
> >
> > Is this weird behaviour unique to my system, or is it just an area in
> > serious need of improvement in Gnome3?
>
> 1. Weirdness on your system. This is how it's supposed to look like:
>    http://ompldr.org/vZ3owYw

That does indeed look *very* different from my system.  I had a hunch
and switched to another gnome-shell theme this morning and tested
again--now it looks better.  So it seems the 'alternative' theme[1],
which I've been using because it has a slimmer top panel, is broken.
How irritating!

You don't happen to know a good theme (that doesn't break
notifications) with a slim top panel? ;)

> 2. "Open" is meant to close the notification and callback to the
>    application that sent the notification (e.g. to open a window).
>    Since notify-send doesn't support callbacks, it just closes the
>    notification.

A, thanks for that explanation, it wasn't obvious to me what 'open'
was supposed to do.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay