[arch-general] Incorporate udev rules in initrd

Christoph Vigano mail at cvigano.de
Sun Jan 13 11:05:35 EST 2013

On 31.12.2012 11:00, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Christoph Vigano <mail at cvigano.de> wrote:
>

>> How can I tell mkinitcpio to include a custom udev rule? Do I need to
>> write a hook for that? How can a hook for this look like?
>

> AFAIK, using FILES="path-to-udev-rule-file" should be enough. The udev
> binaries and basic rules are already there, so adding the custom rule to
> the image should make it work automagically.
>
> HTH
> --
> Rodrigo

Well, your solution was correct after all. The only thing missing was
the psmouse module, which needed to be added to the initrd.
Before adding that module, only a generic mouse device appeared in sysfs
and my udev rule had no attribute sensitivity which it wanted to set.

Thanks to Dave for pointing out the break-option which proved to be
useful for examining sysfs as seen by the initrd.

Now the struggle after rebooting has again lost some of its quirks ;)

Greetings,
Christoph