[arch-general] Request help with wired network config after initial install and reboot

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 11:14:29 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM, William Giokas <1007380 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:31:14AM +0000, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > I did a base install last night on a machine with only a wired
> connection -
> > using the arch iso from 2013-01-04 - the install seemed to go fine and I
> > had a network connection using dhcp during the install and once chrooted
> > into /mnt everything seemed fine.
> >
> > At that stage I set up a wired "static ip" connection (following the
> > beginners guide) using ifplugd - but the service does not start from
> within
> > the chroot during the install - but when I rebooted at the completion of
> > the install I have no network connection and I cannot see any network
> > device (was eth0 during the install) - is it possible this may be due to
> > the systemd-197 package that was installed with the interface naming
> > changed?
>
> Interfaces are, on new installs, not `wlan0` or `eth0`. They are now
> dictated by udev [1][2]. My wired and wireless devices are now enp0s25
> and wlp3s0.
>

> > It seems that the ifconfig command is not available once rebooted into
> the
> > install and I don't know how to proceed.
>
> Run `ip l`.
>
> [1]
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-January/024231.html
> [2]
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

I have had a chance to sort this all out now - and it turns out that once
the initial install is complete it was necessary for me to do the following:

1) Install both ifplugd and netcfg
2) From within /etc/network.d take the example file ethernet-static and put
it in /etc/network.d/ and configure the address parameters for my system
3) Edit /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf as it inherited the interface name "eth0"
and needs to be changed to the correct "enp0s25" name
4) Edit /etc/conf.d/netcfg as it inherited the interface name "eth0" and
needs to be changed to the correct "enp0s25" name

Now when doing systemctl restart net-auto-wired it does set up the wired
network correctly - and of course systemctl restart net-auto-wired is
required for the service to start after the next and subsequent bootups.

I presume that the February archiso file will be built with systemd-197 so
this problem would not arise once that is released - and the problem I had
today is presumably a temporary one due to the interface naming scheme
being changed after the January iso was built with the old names but
installs the system with new names yet copying configs into the standard
files with the previous names.

Anyway this is resolved now and I hope this post may help anyone else who
finds they end up with the same issue.

Of course I have not done an install with a laptop with wireless but I
guess there may be corresponding issues with that - and with dhcp assigned
networking?

Maybe others will report if that is a non-issue for installs done with the
January archiso but executed after the systemd-197 release?

--
mike c