[arch-general] MBP 8, 2: Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Bryan Schumaker bjschuma at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:05:53 EST 2013

On 01/18/2013 01:50 PM, Martín Cigorraga wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM, D. Can Celasun <dcelasun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Brainless software engineer here. I'm using Arch on an iMac 27" + 27"
>> Cinema Display at work and I couldn't be happier. Sure, it took an
>> extra 15 minutes to set it up (compared to a PC)
>>

> A bit OT here.
> D.: is there any remarkable difference worth noting between running Arch on
> PC and on a Mac?
> I'm thinking in something like heat or some part of the HW not being fully
> supported like the keyboard or anything else. There's no doubt Apple
> products stands out because the excellent hardware, one of the main reasons
> one would argue to install GNU/Linux on them, but as I never tried this and
> I'm a bit reluctant to mess with HW glitches I would love to hear from an
> archer running his system on Mac.
>
> Regards.

When I first got this one in October 2011 the wireless card wasn't yet supported in the latest kernel, so I tried to keep up with the rc releases for a couple of months.  I don't usually have a problem working the processor with kernel compiles and virtual machines, so I have noticed a bit of heat (I actually assume that's what caused a screen problem last week).  It seems to be running 10 - 15 C cooler now... I don't know if switching to grub-efi from grub-legacy has anything to do with that.

- Bryan